Friday, September 18, 2009

(Almost) Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes

Today is my after-school program coordinator cohorts 25th birthday. She is a fish eating "vegetarian" like myself, which I'm finding is not so difficult to locate in Austin, TX. This has spared me many an odd stare since moving here when I try to explain my eating habits.

I love to bake, but I had let my hobby slide in recent years in favor of sleeping in and going out, a habit I'm trying to shake both for the sake of my well being and my wallet. So, I decided I was going to see what the vegan cupcake hype is all about and try my hand at it.

I found a recipe online and modified it just slightly, so this is the one I followed:

Cupcake

1 cup sweetened vanilla almond milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Icing


powdered sugar
coco powder
all purpose flour
orange juice
butter (this is where the almost vegan part kicks in)


Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.


2) Whisk together the almond milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle.


3) Add the sugar, applesauce, vanilla extract, and almond extract, to the almond milk mixture and whisk until foamy.


4) In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to wet ingredients and whisk until no large lumps remain.


5) Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.



Ready to go in the oven!

6) While baking, make the icing! I didn't measure any of the ingredients, I just poured them in little by little until I got the taste and consistency I wanted. I only added butter after I wanted the icing to be a little thicker and creamier. Next time I may try putting the ingredients in a blender with some soft tofu and seeing if that works, so that I'm 100% vegan.

Yes, it was 2AM when I made these, and I am drinking red wine, and wearing a "so-hip-it-hurts" Anthropologie apron with owls on it. Sometimes I disgust myself... but then again I love what I love :)

The final verdict on the cupcakes was unanimously positive, since I let all FOUR of the boys who are currently sleeping in the apartment try one. Our apartment has become the poets den with my nerd boy, Eirik, Matt, and Adam all living here till at least Monday. Luckily I have Bella to keep the estrogen levels in check.


She's in trouble because she just ate a plate of cake off the counter that had been salvaged from an after school program's party. She knows she can get away with whatever she wants.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...