Thursday, October 1, 2009

Bad Doggie

This is my dear friend from high school Mr. Moon. He works in Portland, Maine, which is VERY far away from Austin, Texas. Not long ago he suggested that we do a book swap, specifically books that we already owned and love. He told me he already had one picked out for me, and intended to send it as soon as he had some special treats ready from the bakery where he works.
The book he sent me is called Love and Hydrogen by Jim Shepard, which I've never heard of but I trust his taste since he used to always steal my favorite books off of my shelf when we lived in the same city. On that note, I think he still has my annotated copy of Utopia....


In addition to the book, Michael sent me two packages of thick, soft cookies, and two fat cake-like things, one being gingerbread. They looked delicious so I left them on the counter in the padded mailer with my name on it, so all members of the household would know for sure that the contents of the package were mine.


I feel double special getting Mr. Moon treats, because he works at what appears to be a rather swanky bakery in Portland, called The Standard Baking Company. I like to think he got his start as a great baker back when we'd make raisin bread late at night, drunk, in my tiny apartment kitchen in Fayetteville, Arkansas. I went out for a bit, and when I got home...

I found the mailer on the floor and all of the cellophane the cakes and cookies had been wrapped up in strewn all over the floor.

There was a very guilty looking puppy cowering in the corner.
She somehow managed to leave one bag of cookies unscathed. It has been a very, very sad day, but at least there were a few survivors, which I have since been enjoying immensely. The lesson learned here is that cupboards are my friend. And I still need to decide what book to send in return...












No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...