Saturday, October 23, 2010

Louisa May Alcott, The Avett Brothers, Sisters, etc.

"Then as now, thirteen is a critical age for a girl.  It is at this age, as feminist writer Carol Gilligan among others has explained, that girls begin to lose their original voices.  They are mercilessly pressured by the world around them, the impossible models provided by society, their parents' expectations, and the landslide of feelings and opinions released by their emerging, delicious, and unconscious sexuality.  Under this onslaught of expectation, many young girls are pushed away from their original childhood selves and become silent hybrids, creatures molded so much by their environment that it is hard to recognize who they really are."

                                                       - Susan Cheever, Louisa May Alcott (publishing next month)


Ever wonder who you might have become if the rules & expectations surrounding you when growing up had been different?  Or even different now?

As for my mentioning not having free time because of a boy I liked... well, scratch that.

At the least, the end of a relationship does do amazing things for opening up your ears to fantastic "break-up" songs.  As if The Avett Brothers weren't cool enough already.  Speaking of, I get to review their new live album - just got my advance copy.  Can't say the week didn't go down as a win.




"I say it's not that simple - but then again it just may be."


Also - my step-sister Amy's birthday was this week - and I got to go out on the town with too many beautiful girls to handle at any given time.  I have pictorial proof.



My sisters!  The birthday girl is in stripes.  I am clearly checking out a hottie across the room.  We went to see the Josh Abbott band.  I had so much fun - wish these gatherings happened more often!

5 comments:

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

Love this post :)

Tatiana said...

Ah The Avett Brothers. I could listen to "I And Love And You" all day. So cool your job is to review all these amazing bands!

Lady Fromage said...

Well bummer about the boy, but it looks like y'all had fun! :)

-Lady Fromage

Sarah said...

ahh looks like fun! Happy belated birthday friend of a friend:)
Wearing It On My Sleeves

That Chelsea Girl™ said...

Great post, lovely. I love The Avett Brothers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...