Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Beyond Happiness & Unhappiness




Whenever the seasons change there seems to be an influx of commentary about happiness and unhappiness.  Seasonal depression?  The cure could be sweet potatoes, but I still like reading the words of people like Eckhart Tolle.  I don't want to call him a "thinker," as this interview illustrates his views on our collective need for a paradigm shift in thinking that we are what we think.  My thoughts tend to be so scattered and trivial, (I get stressed out by cups being left on the coffee table), that I certainly hope they are not the foundation of my existence.  I tend to agree with Tolle, who tends to agree with the historic, basic theology of most major world religions.

"When your sense of self is no longer tied to thought, is no longer conceptual, there is a depth of feeling, of sensing, of compassion, of loving, that was not there when you were trapped in mental concepts. You are that depth."


"Many works that are called art these days are actually creations of the human mind trying to be clever, trying to think of something new. And so they lack the essence of true art, which is the flavor, the fragrance of that heightened state of consciousness out of which the original inspiration came. That is the essence of great art. No one knows how it gets into the work. Even the artist doesn’t know. And yet, somehow, people recognize it when it does. Somehow, they sense it. So they are not totally mad; they sense that there is something there."

                                           Eckhartt Tolle


Fear of not being clever is an incredible hindrance to creating - both in that it prevents the attempt at creating something, and, according to Tolle, diminishes the final product once there is an output.  

I'd like to think that for lent, I've been giving up fear.  It's not a total success so far, but a work in progress.  Maybe I need to skydive.  

Or dress like a bumblebee in public.  Check.  (baby steps).

Dress: handmade from Parts & Labour 
Tee: J. Crew
Tights: Target
Shoes: knock-off Chucks
Necklace: Etsy

3 comments:

That Chelsea Girl™ said...

Your bumblebee outfit comment makes me think of that "No Rain" video from Blind Mellon...and as for the fear thing, I like to think it's all relative.
Anywho, I will have to look up more about this guy, what you posted sounded interesting enough.
Take care!

calivintage said...

oh dear, i think you are right! it was refreshing to read this to remind myself that i shouldn't worry about being clever, but rather, i should allow my creativity to flow freely.

thank you!

Amanda said...

@ Chelsea - haha I love that video :)

@ Calivintage - Glad I could help with the find - he's really insightful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...